Friday, March 7, 2008

Mea Culpa

OK I knew I wasn't going to be the best blogger.

I've never been able to keep a journal going for long.
Here's a brief synopsis of February.
  • I turned 45
  • Got a "physical age assessment" at my health club:
    * I have the body of a 46 year old!
    ** My strength and flexibility were good by my MaxVOC was bad
  • I signed up for the August RKC at UCLA
These events are related. The club offers $35 off of the "Bod Pod" physical assessment on the birth month. My mixed results on my health pointed out that I had sacrificed Cardio Vascular for Strength. If I drop my body fat from 20% to 16% and raise my MaxVOC 3% my body age would be 36 years old.

Those results greatly influenced me into signed up for the RKC. Also it the RKC can't get much close (4 miles).

My goal is to be able to do 100 snatches in 10 minutes.
5 right, 5 left on the minute for 10 minutes.

March 6th I did 5R 5L OTM for 5 minutes, skipped a minute then did one more set.

The basic goal is to keep technique very high, and still get a good workout.
A compressed GTG.


When I did the RKC style testing in Dec, the bell flew out of my hand on the last rep!
I recently cleaned up my form, and if I can keep form through the test. I hope to get 25%-50% more.

It's all in the hips. I was snapping too early up, and not early enough going down. Both problems taxed my grip.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So you know that we're gonna be doing the snatch test almost every Sunday morning until the RKC, right?

We didn't do it this morning because I wanted to see how everyone's form was looking, but the acid test is coming again!

Great job this morning, and I'll be looking forward to seeing you on the beach again on the 23rd! A Hard Style way to start your Easter Sunday!

The Endos & Morenos said...

Thanks Doc.,

I was going to cut out early but when you said Max VO2, I knew I should stay.

My poor VO2 Max numbers were one of the reasons I signed up for the RKC.

Down the road (July?) I think will try the MaxVO2 with the bell locked out overhead for the "active recovery".

Unknown said...

Just work on your snatch test. Don't do the VO2Max with all the switching hands too much until you nail your snatch test numbers with the RKC snatch test rules.

BTW, I think you left your sweats on the beach. They're in my car now, so I'll give them back to you when I see you on the 23rd!

The Endos & Morenos said...

Thanks Doc,

For the advice and looking after my sweats.

I big concerns are:
* Keeping form high
* Not taring up my hands (training downtime)
* Getting a good heart workout

Happy Travels Doc.

Unknown said...

Your big concerns are no problem. But remember that the VO2Max protocols are a little different from the RKC snatch test. That's not to say that you can't develop an outstanding cardiac output and pass the snatch test at the same time, but you have to be aware of the rules.

Also, I'm going to be riding every one to use either modified gardener's gloves or the Tracy Rif sock sleeve whenever possible so as to spare their hands. As Pavel says, injured skin means downtime from training!