Friday, October 24, 2008

New RKC Snatch Test

I wanted to try the New RKC Snatch Test. So I opted to trade my heavy MVO2 day with the new snatch test. 
  • At 146.2 pounds
  • In Google Type "146.2 pounds in kg"
  • Google returns "146.2 pounds = 66.3152045 kilograms"
  • 10 Reps at top of very 30 secs (Pace is for 100 in 5 minutes)
  • Typically finish 10 reps in 23 seconds
  • Finnished 70 reps in 3:23
My cadence was at the 100 reps in 5 minutes. But I was pretty spent just passing my requirements. I wasn't mentally prepped to go the whole 5 minutes.

I think I can probably add 5 reps per week. I would like to do the "heavy weight" 100 reps.
But it's nice to know I would still pass. My candence was much faster than I needed to make my requirements, but this is the candence I would like to hit for the SSST.

Perhaps the weight Scaled SSST (SSSST) could be 2 reps per kg of girevik in 10 minutes.
So I don't know which would be better
  1. Keep the cadence and train to extend to 20 sets (making the SSST)
  2. Fix at 20 sets upping the candence until I hit 132 in 10 minutes (SSSST)
  3. Alternate every week between 1 & 2
I'm leaning towards #3. The SSSST, can be a mile stone on the way to  SSST. My guess is that the slower paced #2 will reach the goals first.

2 comments:

Nikki Shlosser said...

Agreed - I think #3 sounds like a great plan. Excellent work, Rich - love how deliberate you've been with your training. I still need to work on that.

Faizal S. Enu said...

I know that I have posted it in a lot of other places, but I think that that new snatch test requirements as they stand now are a freaking joke. Too easy!

I do think that the format of the test is better than the GS-style, but the numbers are way to easy. I would recommend the following, :
* 100 - (90 - weight in KG)

This would scale the existing test just right.

I also think that this test is easier to prepare for and know when you are ready.

As far as your preparation for the SSST, I would suggest incorporating a number of different types of workouts:
* Max VO2
* Long sets (you need them to be efficient in the SSST)
* Heavy/Leverage snatching (32kg, dead snatches, hang snatches)
==> the worst thing that you could do is try the SSST weekly, you will kill your hands and burn yourself out.