Monday, December 3, 2007

ROP

I started the Right Of Passage (ROP) discribe in Enter the Kettlebell (ETK)
I kind of skipped ahead a few week.
Since I can short cycle Military Press (MP) the 24 kg over ten times on my weak arm,
yet I can't consistently MP the 32 with the weak arm, I thought it would be
a good idea to use a proven protocol.

I choose the rotation where a variety day falls on Sunday so that it fits with
Dr. Cheng's Beach class.

So Monday becomes a Medium day (ladders minus 1 rung). It was essentially a testing day,
as I underestimated the difficulty of the protocol. The first two ladders of 4 rungs were great.
I felt stronger each rund and each ladder. The third ladder was starting to tire me.
And the fourth ladder if *failed* the fourth rung on my left (weak) side. I may not have rested enough before the last rung, but I was not recovering as fast either.

For the swings I used a Java based internet timer.
I figured there is a natural rhythm based in pendulum length.
so to ballance hard, medium swings for a random number of minutes I would
ballance the ratio of work and rest in a minute.
Hard would be 40 sec work, 20 sec rest.
Medium 35 sec work, 25 sec rest.

Until I find my dice I am using 7 minutes.
The first five round were fun, mixing up numbers,
Low-Medium-High, etc.
The last two rounds were tough.
L-M-H became L-M-H-M-L and LLLLL

These swings also smoked me.
So what was supposed to be medium,
turned out to be Heavy.

  • 5 Ladders of 3 Rungs is too low, but 4 rungs is too high
  • 7 round of 35 sec work, 25 sec rest is tough.
  • These should be the numbers for my Heavy days
  • 3 ladders in the morning, one at work, one when I get back
  • For Now, Medium: 30 work, 30 rest; Light: 20 work, 40 rest.

No comments: