Thursday, August 7, 2008

UCLA RKC Certification

Friday

08:00 A lot of nervous energy, not knowing what to expect. The closest feeling is I've had is to freestyle wrestling tournaments I used to attend. I'm in Team Cheng's! I weigh in at 145 Lbs. 09:30 ish the Snatch Test: Goes like a typical morning workout. 26 Left, 22 Right. I probably could have hit 4 to 6 more but I wanted to save my hands. General remembrances: It was hot! The bells are raspy rough! Joe C's hands have longs strips of skin shredded off. I only had one shot of espresso this morning, and make it through the day with no more caffeine. It seems that strenuous exercise can replace caffeine -- up to a point. I am so amped up that the rest of the weekend, even the single shot of espresso in the morning feel like too much.

Enter The Dragon

After the training I didn't have time to go home and back before the dinner. So I shower at the UCLA Gym. I feel almost human. As I enter the room where the dinner and movie are to take place, Dan John stops me. He introduces himself and checks up on me. He was worried for me on the field. Apparently I looked pretty exhausted because more than one person comment on it. The salmon and the beef were quite good. I left in the middle of the movie to get sleep, even though I would have won a poster as a door prize if I stayed.

Saturday

I Didn't Know Squat

Or at least a couple of the squats and dead lifts. I particularly like the simplified squat progression, and the bootstrap deadlift.

VO2Max

This is one rocking protocol. It is tough. It looks very promising. The goal is 80 sets. 30 sets were hard enough. Of course we did the calibration testing and two other workouts just before the actual workout.

Sunday

Technical Exams.

During practice my right forearm is so tight I can barely hold a 24kg or swing a 20 kg. I lose the 20 kg a couple times during practice. I ask Doc work on it, and in a minute or two I am able to snatch the 24 kg again. I take my gloves off for the technique evaluations. I am literally risking my skin but this is the finals.

Guest Trainees (aka Victims)

My victims had previous experience. One gentleman had done a workshop with Mike Mahler and used a couple of his DVDs. The other (a lady) had trained at her gym. Their swings weren't too bad and I was able to help them get a little better. However, their Turkish Get Ups needed a lot of work and became quite good. The both were happy with what they learned that day.

RKC Grad Workout

The Dane of Pain Reigns (mainly on the plains?)! 20 seconds of walking seesaw presses, 10 seconds active recovery 20 seconds of swings, 10 seconds active recovery Until EVERY RKC candidate crosses 100 yds Oh merciful DoP lowers the weight by 4kg! Joe doesn't hear this change and does the Grad workout with the original 24 kg weight!

Certifiable

Dr. Cheng officially passes me. I am an RKC. Later Pavel himself tells me that I was well trained for the RKC. KBLA has eleven new RKC's!
  • Hugo Alvarado, RKC
  • Marc Bobys, RKC
  • Rich Endo, RKC
  • Kirsten Farrell, RKC
  • Kingston Heng, RKC
  • Robert Jay, RKC
  • Jose Nartea, Jr., RKC
  • David O'Donnell, RKC
  • Celina Reed, RKC
  • Nikki Shlosser, RKC
  • John Spezzano, RKC

.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Rich Endo, RKC!!!

Unknown said...

And what a beautiful new header you've got on this blog. A great combo of a zen sand garden and our favorite KB!

Well done!

The Endos & Morenos said...

Doc,

Thank you, and thank you.

I thought of the design a while ago. I am surprised no one had done it before. I'm claiming it as my own!
(Business cards and T-shirts next)

It's amazing how difficult simple things like raking sand is to do artfully. It truly apropos for the study of kettlebells, and strength in general.

There is a lot of refinement of simple things to reach artistry.